Are you tired of studying books?
Are you bored of the regular English classes?
Would you like to learn English in an easy and fun way?
Hey, guys, today I’m going to talk about how you can use TV Shows and movies to learn English. I’d like to thank to a good friend of mine from Switzerland who suggested me to write about this topic.
Why you should use movie and TV shows to learn English
The English that people use in the movies or TV is real English, they use trendy phrases and up-to-date slang. If you learn new words and phrases you’ll learn how to use them in their context too.
When you are learning English as a second language, you tend to speak in the same way that you speak in your native language, when you learn through movies and TV shows you learn about the way how you should speak and use your body language; as you know in every culture people use a different kind of body language. To learn a language is not only about pronouncing words correctly, it’s about learning about culture and people.
Tips for learning English through movies and TV shows.
- I suggest that you choose a movie or TV show, according to your English level.
– Kids programs and animated movies: if you just started to learn English, these programs will help you to have a strong foundation because the English they use is really simple and easy to grasp.
– TV Shows about stupid humor like “Friends”, why do we call it stupid humor?
Because if someone makes a stupid mistake, they laugh and explain it to the audience, this kind of TV shows usually last like 20 minutes.
– Action movies are very useful because they explain any hard word. For example, if a catastrophe is going to happen, they explain every detail about it.
– Drama movies and TV shows use big words, because people are intellectual and smart. They won’t explain anything to you because they are sophisticated and if you like this kind of movies you should understand, this is high English.
– Dark comedies are good because they play with the language. They use sophisticated English as well.
- When you watch movies and TV shows you are focused on improving your listening skills, so first, I recommend that you watch them without subtitles, because when you use subtitles you are working on your reading skills.
- After you watched it without subtitles, turn on the subtitles and write down the phrases and words that you are going to use in a real conversation and try to imitate the way the actors speak.
- If you don’t understand 100% the subtitles write down what you don’t understand and use a dictionary.
- Do you think that is hard work to be reading subtitles and writing down everything at the same time?
Well, I got another suggestion, you can download the subtitles and study them separate, take your time studying them. After you understand 100% try to watch the movie again.
- There is another technique, you pick up a scene you like and study it, try to write down what they are talking about, later turn on the subtitles to see if you got it right, if you do this you’ll be improving your listening skills. Then, focus on the way they speak and try to imitate them, once you’ve mastered one scene; pick up another one and so on.
If you do this regularly, your English will improve a lot.
Well, guys, that was all for today, hope it helps you and if you like this article, please share it and subscribe.